Monday, July 12, 2004

 

The view from Sadr-city

From Salon.com

Sgt. Reggie Butler is in the 1st Cavalry, patroling Sadr City. I feel like his story is the rule, rather than the exception:

On the morning of June 28, the Coalition Provisional Authority announced the transfer of sovereignty to Iraq, dissolving itself. It didn't amount to much beyond a political abstraction for Butler. The only development that matters to him is the cease-fire. Nothing else has changed -- he still has to take his platoon out on patrol, he still has to worry about an armed insurgency and ambushes. "They just don't want us here," Butler said. "I hope that all of us make it back. I pray that we all do, but I don't think it could get any worse. This is worse. I'll do everything I can to bring all the soldiers back. Anything."



Just so everyone is clear, the "they" mentioned in the bolded quote above is Iraqis, not terrorists, not insurgents, Iraqis.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?